Monday, September 9, 2019

Don't be so frigid my dear

Hello lovelies! A quick dash out this morning in the freezing rain allowed me to get some blue embroidery floss to finish the second in my series of nursery rhyme illustrations for my upcoming book Wounds: New Openings Into Old Stories.

This poem deals with harassment in the workplace and is titled Pink Workplace Blues.


I wanted to figure out how to portray sexual harassment in a symbolic way so I asked myself "How does a flower sexually harass another flower?"

I took my inspiration from Gerald Scarfe's animated sequence from Pink Floyd The Wall as well as paintings by Georgia O'Keeffe. I tried to portray body language as well as make the flowers suggest genitalia.  It might be worth clicking on the picture to see the pearl detail on the female flower.

Stay tuned for the next illustration which will represent a classic fairy tale.  I will post a clue when I get the rest of the materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carnivorous Geological Formations and Other Oddities of Nature

Hello lovelies! Thank you for stopping in to read about my new Short Story Bundles available as a digital download from my Etsy shop  Wild M...