Saturday, September 14, 2019

This is who I am

Hello lovelies! I have just completed the next illustration to go with my upcoming book Wounds: New Openings Into Old Stories. 

This illustration goes with the poem Perception Filter which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Remember in the clue I said it was about two opposite characters?

Many people recognized the mirror in the board book and thought it might be a Snow White illustration ("Mirror, mirror on the wall ") but my take on this classic tale is what if these are the two warring sides of your self esteem? You know how some days you wake up and look in the mirror and like who you see and other days you can't bear to look at yourself? I chose a mirror from a board book because they always have a distorted reflection like a fun house mirror. 

Today we filter our selves in so many ways...we filter our lives by only putting the good bits on Instagram...we filter our selfies  with Snapchat and give ourselves smoother, lighter skin, bigger eyes, plumper lips.

The poem says:

I look at myself.

I'm a gorgeous beauty. 
I'm a repulsive beast.

This is who I am.

We are all at war with ourselves.

Stay tuned for the next illustration which I hope will be done by Wednesday. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought at first it was a moon.... looking at it on my phone. Very powerful illustration with the mirror....at war with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Carnivorous Geological Formations and Other Oddities of Nature

Hello lovelies! Thank you for stopping in to read about my new Short Story Bundles available as a digital download from my Etsy shop  Wild M...