Sunday, September 22, 2019

Sleeping somehow implies consent

Hello lovelies! I have finished the next companion illustration for my upcoming book Wounds: New Openings Into Old Stories that will be on display at my book launch.

I had hoped the clue of the vines and the Liberty fabric that had the briars might be a hint that this was Sleeping Beauty (also called Briar Rose).

My version is a poem entitled By the Pricking of My Thumb (The Beauty Sleeps).
I wrote this poem as a response to one of the earliest versions of this story where it is not a chaste kiss that wakes her from her sleep but the fact that she gives birth to twins. He sees her in her unconscious state which somehow inflames his passion. He rapes her and leaves. She wakes up and finds him and marries him. Let that sink in.

In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, what is the meaning of consent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carnivorous Geological Formations and Other Oddities of Nature

Hello lovelies! Thank you for stopping in to read about my new Short Story Bundles available as a digital download from my Etsy shop  Wild M...