Tuesday, September 17, 2019

She was not like other boys' mothers

Hello lovelies! My next companion illustration for my upcoming book Wounds: New Openings Into Old Stories is finished. This illustration is from my story entitled Home From the Sea.

This is one of the three short stories based on mythical creatures from folklore.

I have always been fascinated by selkies-- those creatures who are part seal and part woman. Legend says they come to the shore at night and shed their seal skins to dance naked on the sand. Sadly selkies are often exploited  by  men.  It is said that if a man steals the seal skin then he can make the selkie his wife. As long as he hides the skin she is forced to stay with him because she cannot return to the sea. But if she does find her skin she will be be able to leave him.
Selkie close up

My story deals with this sort of abuse. It is the tale of a woman forced to stay in human form by an uncaring husband who will not return her skin.

Stay tuned for the next illustration which I hope will be done by Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carnivorous Geological Formations and Other Oddities of Nature

Hello lovelies! Thank you for stopping in to read about my new Short Story Bundles available as a digital download from my Etsy shop  Wild M...